[vorbis-dev] Patch for bitrate information in ogginfo

volsung at asu.edu volsung at asu.edu
Sun Jul 29 12:56:33 PDT 2001

On Sat, 28 Jul 2001, Hongli Lai wrote:

> With this patch, ogginfo will display bitrate information
> (upper/lower/nominal/average bitrate).
> It is patched against today's CVS code (main branch).
>
> I am also working on true VBR support in oggenc (the user
> can specify the minimum & maximum bitrate) and will send
> a patch when it's done.

[I'm taking a break from reading.]

The patch looks fine.  Before I apply it, I need to get some clarification
from those who know more about the Vorbis format:

The docs for vorbis_info (vorbis/doc/vorbisfile/vorbis_info.html) say that
both bitrate_upper and bitrate_lower can be *unset* if no upper or lower limit
exists.  Does a value of -1 mean "unset"?  This is the value I am getting from
the test files I used.

If so, I'm going to modify the patch to say "bitrate_upper=none" and
"bitrate_lower=none" if these values are set to -1.  Hopefully, this will
prevent confusion.

[For future reference on patches: As has been pointed out, diff -u is easier
to read.  Also, I prefer that small patches are not compressed so that I can
quickly review them within my email program.]

Thanks for the patch!  I'll commit it once I get some clarification (no later
than tomorrow).

---
Stan Seibert