[vorbis-dev] Re: [fwd] Problems with ogg123 on OpenBSD (from: ryancooley@yahoo.com)

Christian Weisgerber naddy at mips.inka.de
Tue Jul 24 09:17:27 PDT 2001

Jeremy C. Reed <reed at reedmedia.net> wrote:

> OpenBSD and NetBSD both have ogg123 available via their ports/packages
> collection. (I help maintain the ogg, vorbis, libao, and vorbis-tools
> packages for NetBSD.)

BTW, if you need assistance to update the NetBSD packages to rc1,
drop me a line.

> The patches and fixes are available with these packages. The problem (I
> believe) is that the patches are specific for the operating systems. In
> other words, the patches aren't made to be directly integrated back into
> the original source without breaking functionality for the other
> operating systems.

Looking at the OpenBSD patches, I can tell you that most of them
belong to these two kinds:

- libtool fixes
  libtool needs patches to work correctly on OpenBSD.  Maybe those
  changes will have been incorporated into the next release of libtool,
  maybe they won't.  Probably things will have changed so much that
  new fixes will be required.  While this situation is deplorable, and
  I could rant all day about the messed up development of various (all?)
  GNU infrastructure tools, none of this pertains to Ogg Vorbis.
  (FreeBSD handles this by brute-forcing the use of its own patched
  version of libtool.)

- path changes
  E.g., we install additional docs into share/doc/${PACKAGE} rather
  than share/doc/${PACKAGE}-${VERSION}. Everybody handles this
  differently, even different Linux distributions do, so I don't
  see much sense in lobbying for other defaults (nor any likelihood
  that such changes would be accepted).

Some patches are simply there to accomodate the ports/packages
framework.  Some patches have already been committed to the Ogg
Vorbis repositories, but will only surface with the next release.
And yes, a few things are simply hard to deal with in a truly
portable manner.

It's in my own interest as a ports maintainer to minimize the diffs
to the upstream version, and although I've had to be a bit pushy
on occasion, I can't complain over all.

Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          naddy at mips.inka.de