[vorbis-dev] Quicktime Component

Segher Boessenkool segher at chello.nl
Mon Jul 23 17:20:22 PDT 2001

Nick D'Amato wrote:

> On 7/23/01 7:52 PM, Segher Boessenkool said:
>
> > I read from the dataref associated with my media, and calculate offsets and
> > ogg page size from the ogg page headers.  That seems to work...  although
> > QT doesn't seem to like a zero-length in time, non-zero-length in bytes
> > sample...  I need some trickery for that (and similar cases).
>
> Yea there are some secrets of QT... we have to beat up Apple engineers to
> get them (sorry Kevin =)
>
> I am considering using your method, which obviously works much better than
> mine, but I'm just not sure which is the better way to go... Directly or via
> VorbisFile. If I manage to cleanly implement VF, future updates won't be as
> difficult as the Vorbis libs evolve.

I wouldn't use vorbisfile if at all possible.  This method won't _ever_
break, btw, as it's just using the Ogg _specification_, nothing implementation
dependent.

It wouldn't need the trickery if it would be possible to let the importer
"export" packets (i.s.o. pages), but that would mean i'd have to use a
media that's not associated with the original file, and that would mean
much worse performance.

Ciao,

Segher