[vorbis-dev] file magic for Ogg, Vorbis?

Beni Cherniavsky cben at crosswinds.net
Wed Jul 18 03:33:37 PDT 2001

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> I am trying to figure out file(1) magic(1) for Ogg and Vorbis.
> (I am using file from NetBSD 1.5.1.)

My results, with some correction (slight wording changes, beta1/2 dates
clarification) since the last post are attached.  I'm also going to send
this update to the file(1) and magic directory maintainer
<christos at astron.com>.

> Currently I have:
>
>[snip]
>
> Any ideas on what bytes I should look at for more details? (For example,
> MP3 and the WAV show how many bits, sample rate, stereo and more).

See my magic, should be correct (checked on real file and against the
source and the documentation I could find; nobody here reported mistakes).
Uncomment all lines commented with `##' to get really verbose output.  See
there for recomendations of what is reasonable to uncomment :-).

> How should it be worded? (Is "Ogg data, Vorbis audio" okay?)

I previously managed to word it as `Ogg Vorbis sound data' or `Ogg data'
for non-vorbis ogg by using some messy repeated tests.  Now I switched to
your wording, which might be slightly less elegant but shows the Ogg -
Vorbis releationship more correctly.

> Does anyone already have this file magic?
>
> In addition, I am going to do magic.mime also. Is "audio/vorbis" okay?

Didn't occur to me :-).  So you still have to do this.

> What if OggS doesn't have a keyword "vorbis" (or other) do I use
> "application/ogg" mime type?
>
> Also, I know it is off-topic for this list, but while I am at it, I'd like
> to figure out other Ogg formats. I don't have Squish or Tarkin, but are
> these keywords also at byte 29 (0x1d)?

I'd like to include them if they are already specified.  Are there any
Squish files floating around?

--
Beni Cherniavsky <cben at crosswinds.net>
                 (also scben at t2,cben at tx in Technion)

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>TEXT/PLAIN attachment: ogg-vorbis-magic
</UL>