[vorbis-dev] Mac BSD license question

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Wed Jul 4 06:40:30 PDT 2001

At 12:59 PM 7/4/01, you wrote:
>First off, thanks for the info!
>
>>You might consider moving to the recently released
>>'decoder-rc1'  source before you deploy though, to help
>>future-proof your application.
>
>Well, we have a stable implementation of a vorbis plugin (from the beta 4
>source) that has fared well under a semi-rigorous matrix of testing.  We
>have also seeded compressed then decompressed renderings generated with the
>plugin (your technology) to "golden ears" listeners who assert that it
>provides better transients than competing technologies (mp3, etc.).  For
>scheduling reasons, we prefer to work with the beta 4 source snapshot. that
>we've already tested.  But I would be an idiot not to ask - have any huge
>holes been plugged with rc1?  ;)

As far as bugs? No, no major holes.
However, there were some _major_ unimplemented features in beta4 which
rc1 does implement. Although current encoders don't use these features,
there are already a few test files out there using them, and beta4 won't
be able to decode them. Unless bugs are found (no significant ones have
been, yet), rc1 will decode all 1.0 streams. We very highly recommend
upgrading to rc1.

Note that as far as decoding existing files goes, rc1 is unchanged. There
have been also been no changes to how decoder-rc1 encodes files (the encode
side has some new stuff, but it's all unused so far, so for encoding, that
release is the same as beta4).

Michael