[vorbis-dev] Mac BSD license question

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Wed Jul 4 06:24:02 PDT 2001

Jon Gamble wrote:
> scheduling reasons, we prefer to work with the beta 4 source snapshot. that
> we've already tested.  But I would be an idiot not to ask - have any huge
> holes been plugged with rc1?  ;)

The RC1 decoder is capable of decoding future .OGG files that will be
encoded with the RC1 encoder (which isn't released, yet). Beta4 sounds
truly cool already, but when you want to play RC1 files that use channel
coupling and the other upcoming, nifty features, you'll have to upgrade
to RC1 (as far as I understood). This is exactly the reason why the RC1
decoder has been released in advance, so your product can be up-to-date
_now_ - without having to supply patches etc. to your customers lateron
when people start encoding their music with the RC1 encoder.

On the other hand, if you know for sure that the only OGG files/streams
your software should be able to play are beta4 (seems unlikely, from
what I understand under "commercial multimedia collaboration software"),
go ahead and be happy with beta4. :-)

Moritz