[vorbis-dev] [fwd] Problems with ogg123 on OpenBSD (from: ryancooley@yahoo.com)

Kenneth Arnold ken at arnoldnet.net
Mon Jul 23 16:01:12 PDT 2001

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 11:43:23AM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> Ryan,
>
> > I hope for everyone's sake that this problem is fixed soon (before v1.0
> > is released) as it will seriously affect the adoptation of the format
> > is all BSDers are unable to listen to their ogg files/streams.
>
> OpenBSD and NetBSD both have ogg123 available via their ports/packages
> collection. (I help maintain the ogg, vorbis, libao, and vorbis-tools
> packages for NetBSD.)
>
> The patches and fixes are available with these packages. The problem (I
> believe) is that the patches are specific for the operating systems. In
> other words, the patches aren't made to be directly integrated back into
> the original source without breaking functionality for the other
> operating systems.
>
> I am glad you brought this up. The many fixes have been mentioned on this
> mailing list several times. Hopefully, the ogg, vorbis, libao and ogg123
> developers will integrate the BSD-needed ideas into real versions. And
> this will make it easier for me and the other ports/package maintainers
> when the new versions are released so we don't have to patch them again :)
>
> (But if I do have to make patches again, I'll work on making them correct
> so they can be integrate directly next time.)

Please do; though I can't speak for others, I don't have access to any
BSD system, so I cannot check any patches there, or perhaps more
importantly, check that after making everything else play nice that it
still works on BSD. Perhaps I might put VMWare and a few gigs to good
use in this case, but there are other systems besides BSD also and I
don't think it's within any sane person (other than Monty?)'s ability
to have them all within easy access.

--
Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net> / kcarnold / Linux user #180115
http://arnoldnet.net/~kcarnold/

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>application/pgp-signature attachment: stored
</UL>