[vorbis-dev] [fwd] Problems with ogg123 on OpenBSD (from: ryancooley@yahoo.com)

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Mon Jul 23 11:43:23 PDT 2001

Ryan,

> I hope for everyone's sake that this problem is fixed soon (before v1.0
> is released) as it will seriously affect the adoptation of the format
> is all BSDers are unable to listen to their ogg files/streams.

OpenBSD and NetBSD both have ogg123 available via their ports/packages
collection. (I help maintain the ogg, vorbis, libao, and vorbis-tools
packages for NetBSD.)

The patches and fixes are available with these packages. The problem (I
believe) is that the patches are specific for the operating systems. In
other words, the patches aren't made to be directly integrated back into
the original source without breaking functionality for the other
operating systems.

I am glad you brought this up. The many fixes have been mentioned on this
mailing list several times. Hopefully, the ogg, vorbis, libao and ogg123
developers will integrate the BSD-needed ideas into real versions. And
this will make it easier for me and the other ports/package maintainers
when the new versions are released so we don't have to patch them again :)

(But if I do have to make patches again, I'll work on making them correct
so they can be integrate directly next time.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/