[vorbis-dev] Mac BSD license question

rillian rillian at telus.net
Wed Jul 4 03:10:02 PDT 2001

On Wednesday, July 4, 2001, at 09:52 , Jon Gamble wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> First off let me say that Ogg Vorbis kicks butt.  Great work to all
> involved!
>
> I apologize for fuzziness in my wording here.  There are many details I
> am not allowed to reveal at this point for fear of upsetting
> development partners.  That being said:
>
> I have compiled the beta4 source (without modifying it) and wrapped it
> into a plugin for a commercial multimedia collaboration software.  This
> software is distributed freely.  Unfortunately, our plugin API is
> proprietary and cannot be GPLed.  Even worse, I couldn't find any
> precompiled vorbis libraries for Mac so it looks like I'm out of luck
> on the business friendly BSD front unless...  Is it ok to compile the
> vorbis source verbatim with the provided codewarrior projects, give
> Xiphorous credit, and assume the result is BSD protected rather than
> GPL?

If you mean the libogg and libvorbis source, then yes you're fine as
long as you give Xiphophorus credit. The utilities from the vorbis-tools
package, however, is under under the GPL, and that code you cannot
borrow for a proprietary application without special permission from the
authors.

More properly, just read the 'COPYING' files included with each source
package. The Vorbis source actually says you must reproduce the entire
COPYING file in the documentation distributed with your binaries. That
seems a little onerous to me, actually.

You might consider moving to the recently released 'decoder-rc1' source
before you deploy though, to help future-proof your application.

> Is there a compelling reason that the mac libraries are not available?

No, just lack of developer interest.

Hope that helps,
  -r