[vorbis-dev] Mac BSD license question

Jon Gamble gamblejon at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 4 09:52:25 PDT 2001

Greetings,

First off let me say that Ogg Vorbis kicks butt.  Great work to all
involved!

I apologize for fuzziness in my wording here.  There are many details I am
not allowed to reveal at this point for fear of upsetting development
partners.  That being said:

I have compiled the beta4 source (without modifying it) and wrapped it into
a plugin for a commercial multimedia collaboration software.  This software
is distributed freely.  Unfortunately, our plugin API is proprietary and
cannot be GPLed.  Even worse, I couldn't find any precompiled vorbis
libraries for Mac so it looks like I'm out of luck on the business friendly
BSD front unless...  Is it ok to compile the vorbis source verbatim with the
provided codewarrior projects, give Xiphorous credit, and assume the result
is BSD protected rather than GPL?  Is there a compelling reason that the mac
libraries are not available?

Apologies if this has been asked before.

+jon