[vorbis-dev] Multichannel Encoding

Rob Fletcher rpf1 at york.ac.uk
Wed Jan 24 01:35:41 PST 2001

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Richard W.E. Furse wrote:

> Ahhhh, there's my "welcome to the list" message... ;-)
>
> The quick answer is "yes, but not as much as I'd like" - which is a large
> part of why I'm here. I don't actually know too much about MP3 - I've read
> a few books but never got my hands dirty. As I understand it, less
> directional information is stored in frequency bands in which direction
> perception is weakest. I'm not quite clear about that and have less of a
> clue about what happens for upper frequencies. Please would you explain?
>
> I do have some ideas that I find quite exciting about ways to combine the
> MDCT with Ambisonics, but I've not done the maths formally enough to know
> that they will work - but now you know where I'm coming from! Do you know
> if this kind of approach has been investigated?

Richard,

Do check out the York Ambisonics pages. Lots of info. We will be helping
on this effort when a good starting point (in time and dev wrt the
mainstream vorbis dev) has been set.

Yes, higher level, multichannel is of course in mind, not simply 4 channel
etc stuff.

http://www.york.ac.uk/inst/mustech/3d_audio/ambison.htm

Hope this helps.

Rob.

| Dr R P Fletcher    (Rob)   | Email     R.Fletcher at york.ac.uk    |
| Graphics Coordinator       | Phone     +44 (0)1904 433816       |
| Computing Service          | Frontdesk +44 (0)1904 433800       |
| University of York         | Fax       +44 (0)1904 433740       |
| YORK YO10 5DD, UK          | ICQ UIN   4019164                  |