[vorbis-dev] Multichannel Encoding

Gerry gerry at c64.org
Fri Jan 26 09:41:13 PST 2001

.. just a little thought ..

Humans have two ears. Direction of sound is determined by the brain by (1)
calculating the difference in time and figuring out the way this sound came
from (actually this is used in some new kinds of IQ-tests to test the brains
"performance" :) ), and (2) frequency decoding in the ears, where sound from
different locations get some kind of frequency coding by letting the sound
bounce around a little in the outer part of the ear (so if we just had holes
for ears, we wouldn't be able to do this).

Now, here's the thought: Considering all of this, it should, in theory, be
possible to create perfect surround sound in just two channels, one for each
ear. This would obviously not work for normal loudspeakers (unless some
advanced frequency-coding to compensate for the ear's own happened, but
still you have the problem with the brain-calculated time-difference). For
earplugs and such it should work perfectly though. A problem might be that
every human has different ears (so the frequency coding is slightly
different), but still, it should be possible. Any thoughts ?

Gerry