[vorbis-dev] DWIT

Ralph Giles giles at ashlu.bc.ca
Sat Jan 13 10:51:17 PST 2001

On Sat, 13 Jan 2001, Lourens Veen wrote:

> > Is there a list of outstanding tasks around?  Can I do any
> > documentation etc.?
>
> Well, I think Vorbis comes with a TODO list, and so does that Tarkin
> source. I've been doing some wavelet stuff but atm my time is rather
> limited. I suppose doing documentation is always welcome, but I think
> someone else needs to say something about that.

I've tried to maintain an unofficial todo list for ogg projects in
general. You might find it helpful as a roadmap.

    http://snow.ashlu.bc.ca/ogg/todo.html

Documentation-wise, the main things that are missing are API docs for
libvorbis (as opposed to vorbisfile and vorbisenc) and a format spec for
Vorbis itself. The first you should be able to do just by reading the
code; the second probably involves lots of questions about what's
implementation-specific.

Also, turning the existing ogg, ao, and vorbis* documentation into a
nice docbook xml + stylesheet combination would be helpful.

For vorbis there's a real need for app support work, if that's an
interesting way to get started. Jack's been doing a lot of this by
default, but we really need some more people taking responsibility
for that. A comment editor is the biggest hole just now.

Tarkin is pretty open ended though. Someone needs to sit down and read all
the patents to figure out what we can and cannot do, and then we're just
at the 'wild experimentation' stage. :)

Anyway, hope you find something interesting, we could really use the help!

Cheers,
 -ralph