[vorbis-dev] video compression using textured polygons?

Jelle Foks jelle.foks at frontierd.com
Fri Jan 12 14:12:14 PST 2001

Lourens Veen wrote:

> "Timothy J. Wood" wrote:
> >
> [snip]
> >    If you have previous frame, however, you could look at how the pixel
> > values change as the edge moves over them.  This could lead you to
> > determine that the edge is solid and as the edge moves over background
> > pixels, they quickly take on the color of the surface attached to that
> > edge.
>
> It would seem that having the triangles to be non-overlapping is
> actually rather restrictive. Allowing overlapping triangles as well
> would improve compression I think, but it would also make the encoder a
> lot more complicated. Then again, if we follow the standard way of
> defining a bitstream/decoder format only then encoders can improve with
> time.
>
> >    Or, they might take on a function of the color of the surface attached
> > to that edge (if you have a translucent surface), for example.  In
> > either case, by exploiting frame coherence, you might be able to
> > eliminate noise on the edges (or having to transmit extra cleanup data)
> > by figuring out whether you can compute the data using alpha blending.
>
> Ouch, I hadn't thought about translucent objects yet. Actually that will
> probably severely hamper compression, since the encoder will see it as
> an ever changing texture, unable to get any meaningful edge information
> from it.
>
> This is going to be very tricky methinks. Imagine 3 translucent layers
> on top of each other. How is the encoder ever going to figure out what
> is what? Needs heavy thought...

And imagine clouds or flames. Or reflection (both diffuse and non diffuse). How
about the number of objects to track when there is rain or snow?

Suggestion for 'test' movie: Rotating, folding, crumbling and burning partly
translucent and partly reflecting objects in the rain and throw in the good-old
basketball game in the background... ;-))

Cya

Jelle.