[vorbis-dev] Idea for gapless tracks

Marshall Eubanks tme at 21rst-century.com
Tue Jan 2 08:14:09 PST 2001

Michael Smith wrote:

> >One of the solution would be to "teach" the encoder that
> >it has to pay attention that the end of one songs should
> >match up with the beginning of another one. But I'm
> >thinking that there might be a better solution: the encoder
> >shouldn't use psycho-acoustic at the very begging &
> >very end of the songs (for a few milli seconds). This will
> >ensure that the edges will always match...
>
> A more sensible approach would be to encode the entire thing as a single
> stream (which is easy enough).
>
> You could then, afterwards, split this into multiple seperate files -
> vorbis allows you to do sample-precise edits, like that. The tools don't
> exist currently, but wouldn't be too hard to write.
>
> Michael

If the files send to be encoded have level differences at the gap, doing it
as one big stream will not really help things... Assuming that they
begin and
end abruptly, which musical files generally do not, although they can.

We "discovered" this in patching sound files together.

                                   Regards
                                   Marshall Eubanks

   Multicast Technologies, Inc.
   10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 201
   Fairfax, Virginia 22030
   Phone : 703-293-9624          Fax     : 703-293-9609
   e-mail : tme at on-the-i.com     http://www.on-the-i.com