[vorbis-dev] Idea for gapless tracks

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Tue Jan 2 04:48:57 PST 2001

>One of the solution would be to "teach" the encoder that
>it has to pay attention that the end of one songs should
>match up with the beginning of another one. But I'm
>thinking that there might be a better solution: the encoder
>shouldn't use psycho-acoustic at the very begging &
>very end of the songs (for a few milli seconds). This will
>ensure that the edges will always match...

A more sensible approach would be to encode the entire thing as a single
stream (which is easy enough).

You could then, afterwards, split this into multiple seperate files -
vorbis allows you to do sample-precise edits, like that. The tools don't
exist currently, but wouldn't be too hard to write.

Michael