[vorbis-dev] Building vorbis - please help

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Mon Jan 29 23:27:33 PST 2001

At 10:09 PM 1/29/01 -0800, you wrote:
>> On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, David K. Gasaway wrote:
>>
>> Most C++ compilers treat those "errors" as warnings.  They really
>> should be....  There's probably a -permissive flag that you can pass
>> to your compiler or similar to change them to wranings. I recall
>> current g++ doing the same.  That having been said, it wouldn't be a
>> bad practice to cast all type conversions.  It would make c++
>> portability a virtual non-issue.

They are errors. Treating them otherwise means not using 'real' C++. Just
use a C compiler.

>There's a good chance there is such an option.  As I said, I've
>added the casts for now, but will be forcing BCB to use C later.  I
>felt the same about the casts, but Michael didn't seem entirely
>receptive, so I dropped the subject altogether. :)

The casts aren't really a big deal by themselves. However, there are a lot
of them, they aren't needed, and they make source less readable. C++
requires them, C doesn't. Different languages. If it was portability issue
with a C compiler that decided to be silly, then that'd be a different
matter, maybe. It isn't.

Michael