[vorbis-dev] Multichannel Encoding

rillian at telus.net rillian at telus.net
Fri Jan 26 13:50:59 PST 2001

Mark Borgerding wrote:

>The filter bank implementation would be pretty fast, but could be a space

>hog.  It would probably end up needing hundreds of reference filters.  You

>could space them in various manners, but that would trade space for
>computational speed.

I can't comment one the algorithm, but there is GPL'd code to do just this:

    http://www.cyberus.ca/~karen/spatial/

The example program is win32, however. THere is an X11 port, but it contains
a bug that seriously harms the spatialization.

    http://www.ne.jp/asahi/linux/timecop/x11-reference-impl.tar.gz

>By the way. Is all this stuff off-topic?  Or is it possible that
>multi-channel encoding might use this sort of thing?

We've certainly talked about needing output tools for testing surround stuff.
Using this with headphones might be a way of allowing folks with ordinary set-ups
to participate.

I would probably have used vorbis@ for the general discussion, though.

FWIW,
 -r