[vorbis-dev] prebeta4 tarballs

Beni Cherniavsky scben at techst02.technion.ac.il
Tue Jan 23 23:07:37 PST 2001

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Aleksandar Dovnikovic wrote:

> I've tried binaries provided by Chris Moeller (thanks!), and indeed
> the encoding in beta4 is ~2x faster! Now it's even a bit faster then
> mp+ and lame (in vbr). Good job there. :-)

I got a ~2x improvment too.

> I haven't done much testing, but castanets.wav (the first file I always
> use when testing new codecs/encoders) sounds worse then beta3
> (using -b 192 mode), maybe because it gives lower average
> bitrate (about -4kbps).
> I've tried few other test tracks (mostly music clips), and pre-beta4
> gave lower avg. bitrates, around ~10kbps lower (I tested only
> -b 192 mode), and some of the clips sounded slightly worse
> then beta3.

I encoded 2 stereo 44KHz files at -b 128 and it produces slightly higher
bitrate (~+5kbps, I don't have it here but I'll check and post
precise numbers tomorrow).

I heard a little improvement in quality although beta3 was already almost
indistinguishable from the original because I encode songs recorded from
the radio to a tape and from the tape to the computer, which limits the
orignal quality.  Therefore you probably shouldn't trust my quality check.

--
Beni Cherniavsky <cben at crosswinds.net>
                 (also scben at t2,cben at tx in Technion)

  No, No! You're not thinking; you're just being logical.
                                             - Niels Bohr