[vorbis-dev] DWIT

suzanne scott scottfamily at ns.sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 13 10:01:00 PST 2001

Hi,

I'm interested in helping out with the Vorbis and Tarkin projects (in my
already limited time!).  I don't have an extensive background in all of the
mathematics involved, but it looks like my mathematics from undergrad Physics
is good enough to get a grasp on it.

In the past few days I've started doing some reading on the mathematical
basics. As part of my reading, I found this GPL'd code for Differential
Wavelet Integer-based Transform (DWIT) real-time video codec by Peter Ørbæk
at:

        http://www.daimi.au.dk/~poe/dwithome.html

Although the transmission code currently only runs on an SGI Octane, receive
capability is apparently there for Linux, Solaris and HP-UX.  Seems like the
codec is aimed at higher bandwidth environments, but perhaps there is room
for adaption?  Perhaps this source be useful in the assisting the progression
of Tarkin?  I haven't been able to try it myself, since I just found it
yesterday and don't have an Octane box!

Is there a list of outstanding tasks around?  Can I do any documentation etc.?

Darrell

btw, is there a tarkin-dev list out there?

scottfamily at ns.sympatico.ca