[vorbis-dev] video compression using textured polygons?

jsr at dds.nl jsr at dds.nl
Sat Jan 6 02:13:20 PST 2001

I was just thinking last night, how about this:

For each frame, detect edges and divide the frame into a
bunch of non-overlapping polygons. Extract textures from
the first frame, then save changes in polygon vertex
coordinates only, unless the textures change too much in
which case new textures (which could be wavelet compressed)
would be stored.

Also, if the movements of the vertices would be taken
across multiple frames they could be expressed as splines,
causing more compression.

I realise that this is quite a lot like mpeg 4, with its
sprites and body objects, but I think it's more generic.
And it has the added bonus of being able to do playback
hardware-accelerated on standard 3D hardware.

Problems I foresee: edges may look too sharp, or if the
polygons don't have enough edges too straight. Also the
frame-to-frame matching of polygons absolutely needs to be
correct or things go wrong spectacularly.

Well, any thoughts are welcome.

Lourens