[vorbis-dev] Xiph.org announces Vorbis Beta 4 and the Xiph.org Foundation

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Feb 26 17:41:08 PST 2001

On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 08:29:54PM -0000, Dave Hooper wrote:
> Is it just me, or do streams encoded with oggenc (beta4) with -b112 not play
> back correctly in FreeAmp?
> I've only just noticed this, so I don't know if this is a FreeAmp prob or a
> Vorbis beta4 prob.

Beta 4 implements a few more of the specification features that were
waiting to be coded.  We designed the older decoders to tolerate new
features (or punt if they couldn't deal), but there's one specific
feature guard we missed: Beta 4 at less than 128kbps will use
odd-coefficient LSP filters, which beta 3 and earlier don't
understand, and don't know they don't understand.  You'll either get
silence dropouts or (more likely) very loud pops in playback because
the decoder is mis-decoding all short blocks.  This only affects
generated at -b 120 or below for a stereo stream.

If this sounds like what you're hearing, it's the player, and you
should only need to upgrade to a beta 4 version of freeamp.

Monty