[vorbis-dev] Xiph.org announces Vorbis Beta 4 and the Xiph.org Foundation

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Tue Feb 27 10:56:18 PST 2001

At 08:29 PM 2/26/01 -0000, you wrote:
>Is it just me, or do streams encoded with oggenc (beta4) with -b112 not play
>back correctly in FreeAmp?
>I've only just noticed this, so I don't know if this is a FreeAmp prob or a
>Vorbis beta4 prob.

There was a bug in beta3 (and earlier). Anything encoded with the lowest bitrate mode in beta4 (and possibly other modes, in the future) will fail to play back correctly in older decoders.

Freeamp has (I believe) updated vorbis code, but they haven't done a release since. Sonique has a similar problem - there are probably quite a lot of other players out there too with the same problem.

Michael