[vorbis-dev] win32 question

Chris Hanson cmh at bDistributed.com
Thu Feb 22 20:27:42 PST 2001

At 4:22 PM -0500 2/19/01, Jeff Squyres wrote:
>Good to know -- does ogg123 run on macos (besides the unix-like one)?  Or
>just on POSIX-like systems?

It may, through the minimal POSIX emulation library that Metrowerks
includes with CodeWarrior.

But it won't look and feel like a real Macintosh application without
a good and probably somewhat complex graphical wrapper.  After all,
the classic Mac OS doesn't have any native *concept* of a command
line, or command line arguments, or environment variables, or I/O
redirection, or textual paths[1], or console-style I/O, or forking a
process...  (I don't know how much of that sort of stuff ogg123
relies on,

   -- Chris

[1] Okay, you can use very minimalist paths in certain filesystem
calls.  But they're discouraged in the strongest possible terms
because they're not guaranteed to be unique -- the user can easily
have multiple volumes with the same name mounted; for instance, both
a floppy and a Zip disk with the default name of "untitled" -- and
the user should be able to rename and move around files and
intermediate folders at will.  Applications use FSSpecs or FSRefs to
refer to files at run-time, and they use alias records to store
persistent references to files (which will continue to work even if
the file is moved, the folder it's in is renamed, etc.).

--
Chris Hanson <cmh at bDistributed.com>
bDistributed.com: Making Business Distributed