[vorbis-dev] A different take at video encoding - I'm stuck though

Marco Al marco at simplex.nl
Sun Feb 11 14:17:04 PST 2001

From: "Lourens Veen" <jsr at dds.nl>

> Well, the trick is that if I find a triangle with the same texture in
> the next frame, I only transmit the new vertex coordinates (== motion
> compensation). Matching textures within a frame can use the same texture
> (== fractal encoding).

For motion compensation the vertices of a lot of triangles are just describing
internal edges on the moving shape, pretty much useless to the motion
compensation AFAICS (a mesh inside the motion boundary could be helpfull for
instance if the object is rotating, but a uniform mesh would be better IMO).
With a bit of luck a predictive coder can reduce the entropy in the vertex
coordinates again though, but I have the sneaking suspicion that you are just
going to end up with a warping motion compensation scheme implemented in a
roundabout method.

Marco