[vorbis-dev] test suite

Holger Waechtler hwaechtler at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Feb 10 02:28:04 PST 2001

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Ralph Giles wrote:

> tar.gz handles that pretty well. :)

.tar.bz2 even better :)

> I agree supporting mng (or png or jpeg) isn't much work, and really
> it's a front-end issue. Mng's support of color profiles will be important
> as some point though, and delta-png will certainly be smaller. I guess we
> can change formats as the project evolves.

Just my opineon.

btw: Take a look on www.heroinewarrior.com -- There you'll find a
MPEG import/export library with a quite clean interface. This could be a
good solution for native MPEG movies. I don't want to do this now, but if
somebody else has the time to do so, feel free ...

I'll write the .ppm import support today.

> The good news is Monty has agreed to let me set up a clip archive,
> probably at media.xiph.org.

Great. Could you send a post when the first clip is alive ??

> Holger: sounds like your codec is passing jack's experimental release in
> features. Are you interested in checking it into xiph cvs and calling it
> 'tarkin'?

Yes. (I just was not shure if Monty and jack would agree - on the other
hand it may make sense to develop different approaches, JPEG2000 will
support both an integer and a floating point wavelet codecs - there must
be a reason:)

Any suggestions about licensing ?
I'm not shure if LGPL is free enough for a compression codec, a static
linkage can really make sense in some environments. Perhaps BSD ?

And last but not least, could somebody with ogg knowledge take a look
on how to write the header information and Y/U/V bitstreams to an ogg
stream ?

Thanks,

- Holger