[vorbis-dev] test suite

Ralph Giles giles at ashlu.bc.ca
Fri Feb 9 23:37:53 PST 2001

On Sat, 10 Feb 2001, berk wrote:

> Well, I can shoot anyone without any permissions there. The other
> question would they be glad to find themselves dissected at some
> "scientific" site on the web? :)

Probably more to the point anyway. Even here the release forms may be a
defensive legalism, given how news crews behave sometimes. I just know
it's standard procedure.

> Anyway, I will shoot people who just wants to film, no matter for
> what. And people I'm working with will certainly film for me ;)
> To be more precise, please, specify the characteristics of the test
> set so that I can shoot according to some plan. (This will also be a
> reference document I think).

Michael's suggestions were good:

> Probably 30second or so clips.. Differnt motion characteristic are
> probably the most important... For example:
>
> clips with camera still on tripod and moving things in scene
> clips with camera in hand and moving things in scene
> clips with camera panning on tripod but scene otherwise mostly still
> zooming, etc..

Dolly shots are another good one, if you can do that.

Also, mpeg has a lot of trouble with subtle gradients, solid colored
walls lit from the side.

And something that's been edited music-video style with a lot of quick
cuts would help with the scene-change problem.

For uploading them, could you just put them on the web until we get the
archive set up? Or at least some small (cif) mpegs so we can see what's
what.

Cheers,
 -ralph