[vorbis-dev] test suite

Kenneth Arnold ken at arnoldnet.net
Fri Feb 9 20:46:32 PST 2001

On Sat, Feb 10, 2001 at 03:32:00AM +0100, Holger Waechtler wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Ralph Giles wrote:
>
> > Converting everything to a standard, open format is a good idea, as well
> > as providing the originals. I was thinking mng, of course. :) But a series
> > of png, ppm, or jpeg images would work too.
>
> I'd prefer binary .ppm's -- the file format is trivial, and read/write
> methods are both in Jack's and my code. Disk space should not be a real
> problem today.

But bandwidth is. I'm sure most people here have a lot more bandwidth
than me -- 28.8 modem (darn phone company can't even get 56k -- I
would say Verizon but it was a problem from Bell Atlantic's
time). Anyway, downloading more than about 50 MB is a pain in the
butt, but unfortunately most uncompressed video, even just 30 seconds
(one of which is in my download queue right now), is over 100 MB. MNG
solves this issue quite easily, and I don't think encoding in a
widely-available, lossless, open codec like MNG is really that much of
a pain. Decode it to ppm's locally if you want, but please post in
something compressed. I'll complain a lot less when I even have the
option of cable or DSL.

btw, thanks to all for pointers on wavelet tutorials and sample
video. I'm going to play some this weekend (wish me luck).

--
Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net> / kcarnold / Linux user #180115
http://arnoldnet.net/~kcarnold/

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>application/pgp-signature attachment: stored
</UL>