[vorbis-dev] video codec

Ralph Giles giles at ashlu.bc.ca
Wed Feb 7 19:37:59 PST 2001

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Lourens Veen wrote:

> Okay, now the only problem is that I don't have any video4linux hardware
> so I can't test your program...I imagine I'm not the only one.

To answer the other possible meaning of that, you can get some reasonable
test video by rendering animations. Povray and BMRT are two good examples.
There are some reasonable scenes available for download; you may have to
dig a bit to find things complex enough to make good 'video' tests. (BMRT
is better in this respect, but the images it produces are non-free.)

Another big one is you can rip from dvd (assuming you have a drive of
course) If you downsample the encoding artifacts shouldn't be too bad.
Same goes for vcd, I suppose, but that doesn't leave much room to see
anything.

There's a 32-image sequence in jack's tarkin-experimental release.
(on vorbis.com/~jack)

Collecting a free set of test clips has been on my todo list for a while.
If there's demand I can step that up a bit. Subject suggestions welcome,
but I imagine we won't know what's hard to encode until we start trying.

 -r