[vorbis-dev] what about storing free-cddb-id in comments inside .ogg ?

Beni Cherniavksy cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Wed Dec 26 06:21:04 PST 2001

On 2001-12-26, John Zitterkopf wrote:

> And what if that CD has more than one FREEDBID?
> The FREEDB spec allows for any number of inexact matches based on one CD.
> http://www.freedb.org/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=6
> and
> http://www.freedb.org/software/freedb.howto1.06.zip
> scroll down to line 192 where it reads:
> "Different pressings of a particular CD title may contain differences in
> timings that can cause the computed disc ID to be different."
>
> My guess would be that if the multiple FREEDB ids are known; they should be
> separated by comma's just like the FREEDB database returns in the data
> payload given by a successful search:
>
> Reference line 881 in the same file:
> "DISCID: The data following this keyword should be a comma-separated list of
> 8-byte disc IDs."
> and line 951:
> "DISCID=270b8617,5f430c17,[ ... ],4c72be17"
> -- http://www.freedb.org/software/freedb.howto1.06.zip

No way, that's not the vorbis way.  In vorbis you just put in several
FREEDBID tags:

FREEDBID=270b8617
FREEDBID=5f430c17
FREEDBID=4c72be17

It's possible with any vorbis tag (e.g. TITLE, PERFORMER, etc.).  Order
among tags of same name generally matters but not in the above case,
unless freedb can return entries in some meaningful order (order among
tags of different names is insignificant.

                 (also scben at t2 in Technion)
I like Common Lisp* more than Common Source
   and Open Source  more than Open Collector.
(*)Scheme is better than any scheme.