[vorbis-dev] what about storing free-cddb-id in comments inside .ogg ?

John Zitterkopf zitt at bigfoot.com
Wed Dec 26 02:25:34 PST 2001

> > the vorbis comment specification at
> > http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html says in essence that
the
> > vorbis comments should be text and human-readable.  This would suggest
that
> > a freedb ID or any other such ID code would not fit into this
definition.

> > Geoff.
> >
> Sure.  However there is no better place currently.  ISRC isn't very
> readable either.  The thing I like about the vorbis comments is that even
> misusing them works cleanly ;-).  If you need this feature for your files
> today, nobody forces you to follow the spec.  Invent some tag to hold it
> (but write the ID in printable characters, e.g. hex if it's binary) and
> use that.  Last time I've seen such a proposal the suggested name was
> FREEDBID.  However if you want everybody to put it in (and app support),
> you'll probably have to wait until the ogg ?*'Metadata'*? arrives.

And what if that CD has more than one FREEDBID?
The FREEDB spec allows for any number of inexact matches based on one CD.
http://www.freedb.org/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=6
and
http://www.freedb.org/software/freedb.howto1.06.zip
scroll down to line 192 where it reads:
"Different pressings of a particular CD title may contain differences in
timings that can cause the computed disc ID to be different."

My guess would be that if the multiple FREEDB ids are known; they should be
separated by comma's just like the FREEDB database returns in the data
payload given by a successful search:

Reference line 881 in the same file:
"DISCID: The data following this keyword should be a comma-separated list of
8-byte disc IDs."
and line 951:
"DISCID=270b8617,5f430c17,[ ... ],4c72be17"
-- http://www.freedb.org/software/freedb.howto1.06.zip

Comments?
John