[vorbis-dev] thoughts about MP3 -> OGG convertor

Magnus Holmgren lear at algonet.se
Wed Dec 19 11:10:49 PST 2001

Jack Moffitt wrote:

> > Small note: Did a quick check of the oggenc man file, and it seems to
> > not match the source. Man page says quality ranges from 0 to 10, code
> > uses 0.0 to 1.0. Though using a 0.0 to 1.0 is more flexible, it can also
> > confuse the user initially, if he happens to use the wrong decimal
> > separator (as I did... :).
>
> Why does everyone assume the manpage is wrong :)

Well, *I* didn't assume anything (though the last sentence could be
taken as if I did, I guess). >;-)

Regarding bitrate estimates: the nominal bitrate is (currently) filled
in as follows:

 0  - 64
 1  - 80
 2  - 96

Good enough for me.

Btw, did a quick test using applause.wav (available at the Lame site, I
think; "standard" test sample, AFAIK). At quality 4, there is an easily
heard "swashing" (a bit like maracas) sound that shouldn't be there. At
q 5, I didn't hear anything (didn't ABX, but at least there wasn't any
obvious fault).

--
Magnus Holmgren