[vorbis-dev] bug report for oggenc in CVS: vorbis-tools/oggenc/encode.c

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Dec 3 01:59:05 PST 2001

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 05:13:04AM +0000, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> I was wondering why my CD ripping was producing short files from some tracks.
>
> A superficial examination of the code shows this piece of code in vorbis-tools/oggenc/encode.c:
[...]

You misunderstand the code.  The eos is set by libvorbis, and
libvorbis only sets this when it gets a buffer submission of zero
samples.  A zero sample buffer submission happens only if the fread()
returns zero, and fread returns zero iff it hits end of file.  A pipe
waiting for more input is not an EOF condition.

This might be a bug due to oggenc deciding to stop reading early for
some other reason, but the fault would not be in the code you highlight.

(BTW, the suggestion of 'resetting' this flag disobeys libvorbis usage
documentation and would eventually result in a segfault).

Monty