[vorbis-dev] Re: Different average bitrates on different machines

Segher Boessenkool segher at chello.nl
Tue Dec 11 13:55:45 PST 2001

Simon Hosie wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 07:31:08AM +1100, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> > The standard is _deliberately_ vague about some things in maximise the
> > ability of the compiler to make use of the hardware, and to maximise the
> > number of different systems on which the language and libraries may be
> > implemented.
>
> I think actually the standard is deliberately vague because it was
> written after implementations had already diverged.  There is certainly no
> benefit in letting something like the given example compile.  How often do
> you find yourself thinking "Oh, I don't really mind which element I put
> this in, just so long as it's efficent"?

Post-increments are evil, and not useful on nearly any processor (nowadays)
(the exception is ARM).
But they are _so_ very handy for the programmer :-)

The standard _has_ to be vague about a lot of things.  Not everything uses
two's complement, for example (although most programs assume all the world
is like that, and because of that, are not portable C).

Segher