[vorbis-dev] Re: Different average bitrates on different machines

Simon Hosie simon.hosie at clear.net.nz
Tue Dec 11 13:52:41 PST 2001

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 07:31:08AM +1100, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> The standard is _deliberately_ vague about some things in maximise the
> ability of the compiler to make use of the hardware, and to maximise the
> number of different systems on which the language and libraries may be
> implemented.

I think actually the standard is deliberately vague because it was
written after implementations had already diverged.  There is certainly no
benefit in letting something like the given example compile.  How often do
you find yourself thinking "Oh, I don't really mind which element I put
this in, just so long as it's efficent"?