[vorbis-dev] setting default expansion mode for CVS files

Chris Wolf cwolf at starclass.com
Thu Aug 30 13:35:55 PDT 2001

I've noticed that certain binary files had been checked into cvs with the default expansion mode.
For example *.png and *.bmp files.  The line ending problem not withstanding, there is still the
possiblity that these files can be corrupted if the binary data happens to contain byte sequences
that just happen to match RCS keywords, e.g. "$Id:$", etc.  For that reason, they should still be added
with "cvs add -kb".

There is even a better way to handle this, which is to edit the CVSROOT/cvswrappers file to
identify known binary file types, that way, you don't have to remember to indicate "-kb" upon
performing a "cvs add".

For example, with repositories I manage, my cvswrappers file contains:

*.gif -k 'b'
*.jpg -k 'b'
*.jpeg -k 'b'
*.swf -k 'b'
*.png -k 'b'
*.au -k 'b'
*.opt -k 'b'
*.wav -k 'b'
*.ico -k 'b'

This change can be done as follows:

cvs co CVSROOT/cvswrappers
-- edit the file and add the file types
cvs commit -m "add binary file types" CVSROOT/cvswrappers
cvs release -d CVSROOT

Shall we do this?

        -Chris