[vorbis-dev] Ogg MIDI proposal

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Sat Aug 25 21:26:57 PDT 2001

> Jack said the format 1 -> format 0 conversion could be done without loss of generality, so I
> generally agreed the '0 only' spec made sense. I'm not entirely clear on whether this imposes a 16
> 'device' limitation for Ogg MIDI, or not, and how onerous that actually is.

Forgot to answer the 16 device limit part:

Midi is only capable of addressing 16 channels, for instance, all of the
status codes like NOTE ON and NOTE OFF  are 0x8x and 0x9x, where x is
the channel.

It's non-trivial to route midi past 16 channels, and this is a
limitation imposed by MIDI not us :)

Note that regardless of how many logical tracks are in a Format 1 file,
they all can address any, all, or none of the 16 available channels.
They are just there to make multitrack sequencer file exchange easier.

jack.