[vorbis-dev] Re: [vorbis] Finally, it can be told!

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Fri Aug 31 16:18:49 PDT 2001

> player) and then having multiple layers is not a problem. Anything where
> synchronization is required needs to be "close to the metal". My module is the
> API used by Python's existing modules brought close to the metal.

Any game that is this critically speed dependent, would probably not use
python in this way, unless python has suddently gotten much faster.

I'd love to use python as my only language, but speed is where these
things break down.  I can certainly see managing game pieces in python,
but I think games will always have some compiled language as teh base,
which they expose to the pythons, tcls and perls of the world.

I can vouch for the fact that vorbis-python is quite fast.  It's not
even significantly different than ogg123 itself.

Also, there is more to consider.

there is also an ao-python and an ogg-python, neither of which you have
a counterpart for.  Python's standard library doesn't do sound output
particularly elegantly, and I think ao-python or libao itself does a
much better job.  I can understand wanting a more python friendly
interface for libao, and that's a reasonable goal for ao-python.

ogg-python, while not strictly necessary just for Vorbis decode, _is_
necessary for other mediatype and will be necessary for structured
metadata.  To assume that vorbis the only thing here is incorrect.  We
are building up a nice cohesive frameware into which vorbis fits.

Currently ogg-python is little more than a placeholder, which is fine.

Both of your modules need sound output, and I think that sound output
should be ao-python.  If ao-python is not python-friendly enough, I see
no reason why we can't all agree on an API that _is_ python friendly.

Vorbis _should_ be layered on the sound output module, since there are
many more things you can do with it than just output sound.  To reduce
vorbis' utility to a small domain of problems seems like a bad idea.

Granted, I haven't dug deeply into the source of either module, and I
haven't used vorbismodule at all, but I do think we should try to work
together, if only to keep from confusing the python community and making
more support work for our core team (hell, we already answer plenty of
question about rio's, winamp, and other people's products).

So, is ao-python not suitable for your purposes?  It seems like it would
be a great replacement (assuming we put in win32 support) for all the
disparate audio modules python currently employs.

jack.