[vorbis-dev] time zone issues

Marshall Eubanks tme at 21rst-century.com
Sun Aug 26 14:41:02 PDT 2001

>RFC822 is HISTORIC: please refer to RFC2822 instead.
>
>While UTC is sufficient for human beings, but not necessarily accurate
>for machines, because of the leap year adjustment.  TAI is the

You mean leap seconds, not leap years.
Since 1972, UTC == TAI modulo some number of seconds.
Leap Seconds are announced officially by the IERS
http://www.iers.org/iers/products/eop/leap.html

RFC2822 explicitly refers to "local time" and to UTC. Local
(or civil) time is ALWAYS UTC (modulo some hours). UTC, expressed (as it should
be) in hours minutes seconds format, is unambigous.

So, if you want to be consistent with rfc2822, use local time or UTC. I don't
think you need the rigor of TAI, and, if you use TAI, your internal clock time
will be 20+ seconds off from the time on people's watches, which is likely to
cause trouble.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks

> ultimate
>goal if you only allow ONE choice for recording the calender time.
>
>Parsing RFC2822-style time zone notation is really a headache.
>
>Just a thought for time zone handling.
>
>// Kenji Rikitake

>Ogg project homepage: http://www.xiph.org/ogg/

Marshall Eubanks