[vorbis-dev] Ogg MIDI proposal

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Sat Aug 25 20:47:19 PDT 2001

> I suggest you to keep the events as is, at least in the Ogg level.

We need to expand them so that seeking can possibly work and for
streaming.  If you don't have the previous status, it can't run, and an
easy solution is just to not have running status.  Note that you can
_easily_ do running status on the fly when you send out the data if
that's an issue.

> Modern MIDI sequencers (such as QY100 of YAMAHA) do expand the "running
> status" sequence (of event-status-omitted bytes), and modern MIDI
> keyboards (such as CBX-K1 of YAMAHA or JP-8000 of Roland) simply
> do not optimize the stream; they send every event with status bytes.

If so, then why not also do the expansion? If the synth's do it, it's
not liable to break anything.

jack.