[vorbis-dev] oggenc -n legal filename issue

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Thu Aug 9 23:20:48 PDT 2001

At 11:37 AM 8/10/01 +1200, you wrote:
>I was about to patch oggenc to replace '/' in the strings included in the -n format [*], but that's too platform specific.  Thinking waaaaay back, I realise that it's not even Windows versus the rest of the world.  How should this be handled?  The Windows criteria are probably generally useful, they include nuisance characters for shells, but I wouldn't like to lose colon unnecessarily (pun suppressed).  It does make me wonder, though, whether there should be a configurable pair of 'tr' arguments, with different defaults for different operating systems.
>
>[*] Specifically those that come about through '%*', if you chose to include them in the format string itself, that's your business.
>
>Additionally, if you do choose to include directory separators in the format string, should oggenc create the directory rather than fail, or assume that you had the firesight to create them yourself and fail otherwise?

Directory creation would probably be nice, if it were optional (and defaulted
to being off. It's too easy to type a / when you don't mean it as a dir
seperator.)

I'm not sure what to do about the -n stuff - my experience so far is that
almost nobody uses it, so I didn't worry too much about it. Configurable
transforms with sane defaults (e.g. on windows, you need to get rid of most
non alphanumeric characters. On unix, you should only ever get rid of /)
would be fine, if you want to code it.

Michael