[vorbis-dev] ogg vorbis decoding

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Mon Apr 30 07:07:51 PDT 2001

>>(if that). See vorbisfile_example.c
>
>I managed to get my decoder to compile (although i had to use stdio.h
>functions :-) and I get the max. sample number, too, but I wondered
>what ov_read() returns in the buffer, is it only one channel, or
>interleaved samples? When decoding a (vi.channels == 2).ogg, my module
>is required to return the samples in two separate channels (is that
>possible?)

vorbisfile interleaves the output samples as the final step before
returning them to the user. Obviously you could de-interleave them,
but that's not terribly efficient. Perhaps in your case you'd be
better off using libvorbis directly after all. However, then you need
to calculate the number of samples in the file yourself, which is a
pain to do unless you ignore the possibility of chained streams.

Michael