[vorbis-dev] q re vorbis packetizing in ogg stream

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Apr 25 13:47:30 PDT 2001

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 02:07:34AM -0500, Mike Coleman wrote:
> >From looking at the code, it looks like the first vorbis header in a stream is
> always placed in its own page.  It also looks like maybe the audio data (i.e.,
> the stuff after the headers) is maybe also supposed to begin on a new page.
> Is this part of the spec?

Yes to all three questions.

> I notice, though, that the second and third headers share a page, at least in
> one .ogg I looked at.  It seems like it would be easier for tools which
> manipulate the comment or codebook headers if each of these headers was
> required to be placed on its own page.  Any thoughts on this?

Well, more than that, neither the second or third header is currently
guaranteed to occupy only a single page (together or each).  I'll
probably limit both, temporarily for Vorbis I, to one page max, but it
won't stay that way in the long run.

Write the code to always run.  Convenience isn't always a virtue.

Monty