[vorbis-dev] building libao under Debian

Kenneth Arnold ken at arnoldnet.net
Mon Apr 23 14:20:26 PDT 2001

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 11:19:52AM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> Worked around this problem by commenting out "arts" in
>  libao-0.6.0/src/plugins/Makefile
> SUBDIRS = oss esd alsa #arts # solaris irix

For the nth time, these need to be COMPILED CONDITIONALLY, with
configure switches to build or not build each.

> Worked around that problem with:
>  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib ./configure

configure script should warn if /usr/local/lib is not in /etc/ld.so.conf.

> After installing vorbis-tools, oss wouldn't work. So I changed /dev/dsp to
> /dev/audio in the libao source libao-0.6.0/src/plugins/oss/ao_oss.c and it
> worked.

No clue for why that would be; /dev/dsp is what it's supposed to be
(in fact I didn't think that /dev/audio even existed on Linux anymore).

--
Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net> / kcarnold / Linux user #180115
http://arnoldnet.net/~kcarnold/