[vorbis-dev] Metadata streams

Aaron Plattner aaronp at crosswinds.net
Wed Apr 11 15:56:33 PDT 2001

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 02:49:08PM -0700, Monty wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 03:47:48PM -0500, Aaron Plattner wrote:
> > Do you guys have any kind of spec written?  I was thinking about it, and it
> > would seem to me that there should be some sort of description (possibly XML) of
> > the physical bitstream as a whole, as well as a metadata description of each
> > stream.
>
> Yes, but this will not be XML.  I don't especially subscribe to the
> view that XML is the perfect hammer for every nail (or in this case,
> can of tuna).

Yes, I get it now.  Thanks.

> >  Specifically, I was thinking that it'd be good to have the metadata
> > packets between logical streams, but this appears to be prohibited by the Ogg
> > spec (why is this?).
>
> I want arbitrary metadata to be a first class stream type, not a
> hacked in feature that complicates the high level design.

By "metadata packets" I guess I actually meant "TOC packets" or "stream
description packets".

Sorry for being a clueless newbie, but why exactly is starting a stream in the
middle of another one prohibited?  It could be very useful in certain cases.

> > now can ignore them correctly in the future (libvorbisfile as written gets
> > confused when a stream isn't ENTIRELY Vorbis).
>
> That's correct.  But Vorbis I will be vorbis only streams, and we need
> to 'throw away' the first version of the stream libs anyway for 2.0.
>
> Monty

Aaron

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>application/pgp-signature attachment: stored
</UL>