[vorbis-dev] OGG Vorbis Project

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Sep 20 10:30:17 PDT 2000

> Basically, I have a need to be able to compress PCM audio data for
> transmission over the Internet.  I was going to use MP3, but then I read
> about a really nice feature of OGG Vorbis which was the ability to stream a
> lower-quality copy of an OGG Vorbis file by simply leaving out the data
> that I don't need. (That's written under the last section of the FAQ at
> http://www.vorbis.com/faq.html).  The fact that it's patent-free also helps.

Yes, although I'll also note that the current software doesn't implement what's
needed to use that feature (bitrate peeling).  The stream must be encoded with
peeling in mind, and the current encoder isn't yet that smart.

> I would really rather use OGG to do that over MP3 for many reasons, but the
> most obvious being that it won't require much, if any, processor to take a
> high bit-rate OGG file and effectively down sample it to the client's
> preferred bit rate for that particular connection without affecting the
> original file.
>
> At this point, I'm in a situation where I'd just rather hire someone to
> assist me with this.  I'm not a C programmer, and I don't understand enough
> of what OGG Vorbis does to the PCM data to be able to mimic it's
> functionality in Delphi, my native programming language.

Currently, Vorbis work is bordering on 'success failure' (so much work to do
due to unexpected popularity that we're at risk of being overwhelmed).  If you
can find a knowledgable person to hire for this, go for it; someone might find
this very interesting.

Monty