[vorbis-dev] Vorbis on OS/2

Nick Burch gagravarr at SoftHome.net
Mon Sep 11 03:47:48 PDT 2000

>>Following a few months of lurking on the list, and vainly trying to get
>>vorbis to compile
>>on os/2, I finally managed to get the nightly gzip from saturday to
>>compile (fairly)
>>cleanly, and so have finally been able to play with Vorbis on my OS of
>>choice :)
>This is cool. Were there any changes needed in libvorbis itself? (If there
>were, let us know - libvorbis is intended to compile on pretty much any
>modern platform out there)

The configure script had some problems with not finding some programs eg ar,
and didn't like os/2 as a build system. I'll look into these in a few days, and
let
you know what changes would be needed

>>Using the EMX runtime system, and bash for OS/2 (along with a few ported
>>GNU apps),
>>both configure and make work fine (except for ogg123 naturally). Oggenc
>>seems to
>>work, and I've sucessfully encoded a few files using lame 3.86 with ogg
>>support, and
>>played them back on a linux system.
>Oggenc probably has the same problem when using stdin/stdout (which is
>supported). Have you made changes for this too, or did you decide that it
>didn't matter enough? The way things are set up you should just be able to
>give a replacement function for setbinmode(), which exists in oe_win32.c,
>and is defined out for unix.

I'll look into this, and see if I can do something similar. I hadn't actually
tried
oggenc on anything other than files, so I hadn't realised!

>>someone with CVS access please add the following three lines below the WIN32
>>binary fix in examples/vorbisfile_example.c examples/encoder_example.c
>>examples/decoder_example.c
>>
>>#ifdef __EMX__ /* OS/2 EMX System needs stdout set to binary */
>>      _fsetmode(stdout,"b");
>>#endif

A quick check shows me that stdin may not always be set to binary on all
runtime
builds, so it should really be coded as:

#ifdef __EMX__ /* OS/2 EMX System needs stdin/stdout set to binary */
      _fsetmode(stdin,"b");
      _fsetmode(stdout,"b");
#endif

Nick