[vorbis-dev] Relying on autoconf/configure

Jack Moffitt jack at icecast.org
Sat Sep 2 11:14:56 PDT 2000

> And now, a general word of advice.  Every little thing that relies on
> autoconf/configure makes it harder to port the Vorbis reference
> implementation to the two platforms that make up 99% of the desktop
> market.  Please, think very hard about whether what you want to do
> can be done without platform-specific configuration tools before
> using them.

I use autoconf and automake with icecast tools without problems for the
win32 side.  The way I have done this is do:

#ifdef _WIN32
#include <win32config.h>
#else
#include <config.h>
#endif

config.h does all the necessary defines from configure, etc.  And win32
config.h is the set for all win32 systems.

Works great.

Also, you can use autoconf and automake in win32, using the cygnus build
tools.  I usually use MSVC for win32 development (as does most of the
win32 world) so I don't use them.

So the only platform which doesn't have autoconf/automake is the legacy
Mac OS.  Mac OSX does just fine with these tools.

It would be trivial to do this all in os.h with

#ifdef _MAC
#include <macconfig.h>
#else
#ifdef _WIN32