[vorbis-dev] Relying on autoconf/configure

Chris Hanson cmh at bDistributed.com
Sat Sep 2 07:39:53 PDT 2000

I decided, since nobody else seems to be doing it, to do a new build
of the Mac library.

Unfortunately, things now rely on os_types.h.  No problem, I'll just
create an os_types.h in mac/compat.  Except os.h #includes
"../include/vorbis/os_types.h" -- in other words, it explicitly wants
the os_types.h that was generated from os_types.h.in by configure.

The simple solution is to just #include "os_types.h" in os.h and make
sure include/vorbis is in the compiler's include path on Unix
platforms.  It is already, isn't it?  Maybe just include, so you'd
have to #include "vorbis/os_types.h" -- this isn't a big deal for me
on the Mac either, as all I have to do is create a vorbis folder in
side mac/compat and stick my os_types.h in there.

And now, a general word of advice.  Every little thing that relies on
autoconf/configure makes it harder to port the Vorbis reference
implementation to the two platforms that make up 99% of the desktop
market.  Please, think very hard about whether what you want to do
can be done without platform-specific configuration tools before
using them.

--
Chris Hanson
bDistributed.com, Inc.