[vorbis-dev] Vorbis vs OGG?

Ralph Giles giles at snow.ashlu.bc.ca
Tue Sep 19 18:44:26 PDT 2000

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Tim Gustafson wrote:

> Could someone please tell me which of the two is the compression algorithm
> and which of the two is the framing methodology?  From what I can figure,
> Vorbis is the compression and OGG is the framing.  What is confusing me is
> the fact that libvorbis has a bunch of functions that start with ogg_, so
> I'm wondering if it should really be libogg instead.

Ogg is the framing/interleave stream format, Vorbis is the audio codec.

The ogg_ functions usually do refer to the Ogg level. Work's underway to
properly factor the two library-wise. There's already an 'ogg' cvs module
you can check out with just the stream-level stuff, but I'm unclear on
whether the libvorbis port is complete. Right now, the mainline cvs
assumes you're going to be using Ogg for your Vorbis packets, so it's
probably best to work around for the moment. Look for where
libvorbis(file) stuffs buffers into ogg_packet_in() or reads them from
ogg_packet_out(). That's where you want to split things.

Hope that helps,
 -ralph

giles at ashlu.bc.ca
maybe this is another time before when nothing was